Tuesday, April 21, 2009
What's wrong with today's kids
I felt offended by this article, especially when the writer chose to write 'Victoria School', making it a personal attack to our school
The Article:
I WAS at the McDonald's outlet in Marine Cove on April 14, from about 4.30pm to 5.30pm.
During that time, a group of between 10 and 20 secondary school boys in Victoria School (VS) uniform entered together with a lady who I assumed was their teacher, and occupied a long table and some bar seats.
From their loud cheers, I gathered the teacher was giving them a treat. The calls to confirm orders and the general rowdy chatter were a little disruptive but I was okay with it.
What got to me, though, was how the VS boys did not clear their trays when they got up to leave. Some placed their empty drink cups and wrappers on the trays, but no one bothered to empty the filled trays.
The trash bin was next to the tables they were occupying at most three steps away. The appalling thing was seeing how the teacher did not bother to ask the boys to clear their trays she just stood there talking to the boys.
Then they all left. The area they had occupied looked as if a tornado had swept through it. There were used napkins, burger wrappers and empty drink cups left here and there.
I sympathised with the McDonalds crew member who came to clear the mess with a look of helpless despair on his face.
I am saddened by the behaviour of the VS boys and the inability of their teacher to use that moment to teach her students manners. Victoria School appears to have failed in upholding its school mission of producing well-mannered, considerate men with good social graces.
My mother, a proud former VS girl, was surprised at the incident and felt the boys were tarnishing the schools name.
If the younger generation cannot master basic manners, I do not care if they are winning academic awards around the world as far as I am concerned, they are failures.
My reply to this:
After reading this, I must say I'm quite amused by the fact that you chose to list out the school name, even though your 'focus' was on Singaporeans clearing their own trays at fast food outlets. Or was it? Or was there any hidden agenda in your article?
But labeling the 1438 of us currently in VS, plus all the alumni that came and left the school, as failures, because some Victorians did not clear their tray at a fast food outlet, which happens to the usual practice, is unfair to the school.
I would assume that you came back from some countries that actually have this practice, and I am not even saying that we are right in doing so. It is indeed more considerate if the boys can clear trays, but it is not a rule or anything is it? It is only more polite to do so, but the entire Victoria School should not be put down or anything.
If you said that the teacher could be giving a treat, then usually it would be because of some celebrations, and celebrations would be fun right? Given the human nature, we tend to forget about certain things when having fun, but you do not consider this and you put the teacher down just like that
I sincerely hope that you would give Victoria School her deserved apology, and we will too, learn from this incident. Thanks in advance, and Nil Sine Labore
Posted by trey at 8:43 PM

