Friday, July 09, 2010
Netherlands



Something tells me that there's something seriously wrong with me. How could I not have blogged about Holland being in the Finals of World Cup 2010. This is really exciting to me. I started to watch them play under the influence of Bong, at the Euros 2008.
Prior to supporting them, I was an England fan, but they disappointed me over and over again. With their sluggish performance at the Euros, it really hit the bottom line. England stopped playing good football. They had all the good players in the world, but they just weren't giving any results. Their miserable failure in the World Cup just proved me right again.
I'm glad I did not have to pain myself with that disappointment this time round.
Instead, Holland did me proud. I remembered that during the Euros 2008, I stayed up, and Bong told me Holland was playing. So I just decided to stream and watch for fun. I was thrilled by them. They did not have extremely beautiful one touch passes like Spain, nor the defensive line of Italy. Rather they had the makings of a sleeping lion, which never misses when it wakes up to pound for a prey.
That was what they told me. Holland's defensive line is not the best in the world, but they have an offense that can create chances from any kind of situation. I got hooked by that fact. In this World Cup, after a great start with no losses, they were matched to meet Brazil, I told myself, if they can win Brazil, they can win the World Cup.
Bong and I went to watch the match at Kovan Macs, and the atmosphere was great. Although Brazil took the lead in just 10 minutes, Holland fought, and fought hard. They scored 2 goals in the 2nd half to win Brazil. Bong and I screamed at their goals. It was an astonishing moment for me. They really won. Although their first goal was an own goal, you can't deny that Holland started to open up chances for themselves, and it was the threat from Holland that caused Brazil to make that blunder. Robben dived a lot. We all saw, but he was truly man marked in that match too. I lost count of the number of times he fell flat on his face, but they pulled through.
They played past the the whole tournament, won the quarter finals against Brazil, the semi finals against Uruguay, and now, they are gonna face off Spain in the Finals coming Monday morning. Holland will win. The lion will be awoken. I'm sure of it.
Posted by trey at 12:01 AM

